What an AWESOME weekend! The Wasatch Back this year was such a blast - I already can't wait to do it again. There are seriously the funnest girls on my team and we just had a great time! I was in Van 2 this year, so our other 6 teammates left the starting line at 7:20am in Logan and we met up with them in Liberty around 1:00pm on Friday. We started our legs of the race and it was HOT! I was really glad that I only had 3.5 miles because that was long enough in that heat - it was only in the 80's but that feels really hot when you're running! We ran through the afternoon then ended up in Morgan where we ate dinner, showered and camped out on the football field. After putting up a fuss that we didn't want to shower in a community bathroom, we were told to find Mr. Evans and tell him we'd pay an extra dollar for a private shower - we found him and he escorted us to our own private bathroom with 2 private showers - we totally lucked out on that one!! Then we tried to sleep on the football field, but we had to leave at 9:30pm to get to the next exchange so none of us got any sleep. We took over running again around 11:00pm and ran through the night. Vaughn was a volunteer from 7:00pm-midnight so I got to see him and that was awesome because I thought he was going to be long gone by the time we got to his exchange. I ran again around midnight and had a 9.6 mile leg. My goal was to run the whole leg and I didn't walk a single step of it so I was pumped! It was a long run - especially those last 2 miles - thank goodness it was at night because the temperature was perfect. We ran until 5:10am then drove on to the final exchange. We finally got to sleep at 6:50am Saturday morning for the first time - on a cement tennis court - in a sleeping bag - in the rain - for an hour!! Then were up again, ate breakfast and got ready for our final runs! My last leg was a tough one - 3.5 miles all uphill except for the first half mile. The leg was called "You've got to be kidding me" and that's exactly how I felt! I was planning on walking the whole thing but I was able to run about half of it - all in the pouring rain!!! It was a great feeling to finish my last leg and be done! We ended up crossing the finish line at 3:00 Saturday afternoon - 4 hours earlier than we thought we would. We finished just under 32 hours - now that's a lot of running! Thanks Running Angels for another awesome year!
At Liberty - finished decorating our van and getting ready to RUN!

The first major exchange - there were 9000 runners in the race this year

My cute teammates - Kerry - Sara - me - Jackie - Kim

My first run

Greta - me - Sara

Glad to all have our first run over with!

Our private bathroom - thanks Mr. Evans!


"Sleeping" on the football field at Morgan High School

My blanket got wet so Sara shared her sleeping bag with me - just like old times - we've had many sleep overs in the 28 years we've known each other!! :)

Vaughn volunteering at one of the exchanges!

Middle of the night runs - everyone stayed awake to cheer each other on

Where we got 1 hour of sleep


Passing this...always made you smile, even if you were dying on your run!

"You've got to be kidding me" - I just wish you could actually see how steep it was!


The BEST sight ever - even though that last mile was always a long one!

Completely drenched after my last leg but, man, was I happy to be done!

Running Angels - the best team ever!


Cole had gotten this ready for me :)

Home at last!

My biggest fans! They especially loved me medal!

...Until next year!!!
6 comments:
Again, I'm so proud of you! Yey!!! I seriously can't believe how much running took place... out of control!
That is so great! I am jealous! I don't think I will ever be brave enough to take something like that on!!
Way to go! That looks hard and like a lot of fun with friends. I'm so impressed!
Awesome, I love the pictures. Good job!
You go!! That is great. maybe one day i'll join you. one day....
okay, so my family is considering doing the Arizona one, but the cost is a lot--$100 per person; you have to provide your own volunteers, food and sleep accomodations? I know it is fun...but what does ragnar provide? With a marathon you get drinks along the way, a t-shirt and medal.
Post a Comment