Thursday, 23 April 2009
Dad
What a week. My dad has had a lot of health problems throughout the years but had been feeling and looking so great lately. Sunday, he had gone to a family missionary homecoming - had visited with his siblings and many other relatives - everyone commented on how great he looked. He came home and had a nap. My family decided to go on a bike ride and I suggested that we go to my parents house to get some shiny rocks that my kids wanted from their backyard before they dug the hole for their new family room Monday morning. We got there and visited with my mom. She said that dad had sure been sleeping awhile. She'd checked on him earlier and he had been snoring away! We were leaving for Europe Tuesday morning and Cole wanted Grandpa Peck to come to donut day at school one of the days we would be gone. I sent Cole in to wake him up and Ashton and Jenna followed. I think Cole knew something was not right because he was back soon and said "mom, I can't wake grandpa up." I didn't think much of it, and went into his room. I knew right away and screamed for my mom. Her and Vaughn came running in saying, "what" and I didn't even know what to say. My mom and I just lost it. Vaughn said that we needed to call 911 - I couldn't get the phone to work, and my mom just stared at her cell phone not sure what buttons to even push. Within minutes, a police officer was there, and the EMS right behind him. My poor kids didn't know what was going on. Everything was frantic and stressful and Ashton told me, "it's okay mommy, Jesus came alive again, grandpa will come alive again too." We couldn't get a hold of any of my siblings except my little brother. The EMS worked and worked - at one point even thought they might have found a pulse. They got him onto the stretcher and were doing CPR the whole way out of the house and into the ambulance. My oldest brother showed up and drove my mom and I to the hospital. I left all 3 of my kids, crying and wondering what was going on with, with Vaughn for a long bike ride home. We hadn't been at the hospital long and my mom came out and said that he was gone. The one thing I'm so glad about is that when we found him, he was in the exact same position as he was in when my mom checked on him and he was sleeping. I'm so glad for him that he went in his sleep and didn't have to suffer at all. It was a long night. We went back to my mom's and I helped her clean up then everyone came over and we were there until about 1:30 in the morning. I got to bed about 2am and woke up at 5:00. I was so anxious to see my kids - the last time I had seen them was when I was rushing off to the hospital. Cole is doing good - wish he wouldn't have been the one to find him that way. I hate that my kids had to be there and see all of that, but I am so glad that we were there. My mom would have been alone and wouldn't have been able to reach anyone. Everyone loved my dad. I was evident last night at his viewing. It was supposed to go from 6-8 but people started coming at 5:15 and there was a solid line of people until 9:40. People waited for hours. It was a great tribute to my dad and just goes to show how many lives he's affected. It hasn't sunk in yet that he is really gone and I wish he were still with us but I'm so glad that he is healthy and feeling good. I love you dad!



Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
Kristi- I don't even know what to say. You are amazing. So put together. Sorry for your loss. You and Vaughn are so strong. You are in my prayers.
We are so sorry for your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family.
Kristi- I am so sorry!! This is very tragic, and brought tears to my eyes just reading it. Hang in there, our thoughts and prayers are with you!!
I was thinking of you all day today. I am so sorry for your loss. Thanks for calling me. You've had quite a rough few years since you left MI. It was obviously the right time to get back to Utah. Take care!!
Oh Kristi, I love you! It was so good to see you, your mom and sister last night. I am so sorry for what has happened. Your dad must've been an amazing man! I can only imagine how difficult a time this must be for you and your family. Please let me know if I can help in any way. I'm here for you.
Kristi I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I know that he will surely be missed. You are in my thoughts and prayers!
Im so so sorry. I can't imagine losing a parent, especially without a lot of warning. I only met your dad once but he seemed like such a kind and loving individual. It is momemts like these that I am so grateful for the gospel and eternal families. Hang in there!
Kris I'm so sorry. You seriously amaze me with how strong you've been through this.The Funeral was so good! Hope you can enjoy your trip. call when you get back! love you!
Kristi I am so sorry. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Kristi,
It surely was the right timing for you guys to move to Utah when you did and that you've been so close to your family the last couple years. So sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and my prayers are with you all.
Kristi, I'm late. I totally missed your blog. I'm sorry to hear about your dad, he was definently an icon of Lehi. I hope you're doing well and hope we can catch up when you return from Europe (if you're in Paris eat an eclair for me!).
Love, Julie
So, so sorry to hear about your dad. You are right, it is a blessing he went in his sleep, but still that doesn't make missing him hurt any less. Hope you and the kids are doing okay.
Kristi -
We are also very sorry for your loss. Your dad was a great man. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
I happened to be in town visiting my family when my dad told me about your dad. I am so sorry for your loss.
Kristi, I'm sorry that you had to experience such a shock! You wrote such a traumatic experience so eloquently, you had me crying. I hope your kids will be able to remember the happy things about being near Grandpas before they passed on. Cole looked so grown up in one of the pictures at the cemetery, and I thought about how quickly life goes by. Thank you for sharing your sadness with all of us; we'll be thinking of you!
Post a Comment